Our client is responsible for a number of programmes across a diverse range of customers including the Defence and Intelligence-related market sectors. This is a growing business environment with a number of existing programmes with follow-on work and new capture opportunities. All programmes and projects in this area are mission critical to the End User and range in size, complexity and duration. All activity is undertaken working very closely with the Customer in an integrated project team environment.
Associated Programmes and Captures related to this role involve the full systems engineering cycle from design, through development (including Agile), to verification, commissioning and acceptance. Solutions will include the integration of COTS, FOSS and proprietary software for Enterprise-level capabilities that meet our Customers’ needs.
Specific Job Description:
We require a Senior Systems Engineer with a full understanding of Geospatial capabilities and applications. A successful candidate will primarily be responsible to the Principal Engineering Manager (Defence) for developing System solutions, including responsibility for design, delivery and engineering programme management.
This will include:
• Planning and control of own work and that of an assigned engineering team.
• Support to the Principal Engineering Manager in defining and delivering solutions that meet the user need within the bounds of requirements whilst acknowledging the schedule and cost constraints.
• Requirements assessment and management, design of subsystem, technical impact assessment, design baseline synthesis and control.
• Ownership of Subsystem Specifications and Interface Requirement Specifications.
• Assessment of existing, modified or new Systems, and embodiment of COTS, FOSS and/or Proprietary items.
• Presentation of designs at internal and independent reviews.
• Technical input to programme management and cost estimation teams.
• Technical risk assessment and reduction.
• Support to new (Classified) Defence business opportunities, in particular.
• A good level of Commercial awareness.
• A successful candidate will be required to be a self-starter, able to identify and implement necessary tasks within his/her area of responsibility. He/she will need the flexibility necessary to work within a dynamic Programme and Bid environment. Responsibilities will include working with other staff (engineering, programme management, capture and BD), as well as existing and potential partners, to assess candidate system solutions and/or products, conduct should-cost assessments, resolve technical issues, optimise development processes and provide recommended solutions to problems that are likely to have significant time, cost and/or cost implications.
• A successful candidate shall be able to execute and perform without assistance, and possess significant practical experience and applied knowledge across the following areas:
• Complex systems integration projects, involving IT systems.
• Systems Engineering and understanding of the principles behind each of the main processes.
• Technical Team Management including the planning of work packages, allocation to team members and reporting.
• GEOINT, with hands-on experience of GEOINT processes and integration/deployment of geospatial/GEOINT capabilities into high performance solutions.
• In addition to the areas above, the candidate is required to have: